How to care for your human hair wig
See also: Caring for your synthetic hair wig
A human hair, or “real hair” wig or hairpiece is generally more robust and long-lasting than synthetic hair. By taking care of it the right way, your human hair wig should last for a long time and stay robust. Our high-quality human hair wigs can be thermoformed and offer many different styling options. For washing and cleaning human hair wigs, please see our Wig Conditioners section for recommended care products. Conventional care products are not suitable for human hair especially if they contain sulfates as they alter the colour of the roots.
How often should a human hair wig be cleaned?
This depends very much on how much you wear it. Regular cleaning will increase the life of your human hair wig and preserve its natural shine. Daily or average use means the hair should be cleaned about once or twice a week. Adjust the frequency according to everyday activity. When your wig is not in use, it is best stored on a wig stand to allow ventilation. You can also follow our step by step instructions for washing and caring for a human hair wig below the video.
1. Placing of the Hair
- Place the wig or hairpiece made of human hair on a styrofoam head. You can fix the second hair with a pin. Avoid stabbing the monofilament or the lace front.
2. Before washing
- Comb the hair with a soft brush with rounded bristles and carefully remove any knots. If there are any human hair styling products left in the hair, the wig shampoo will by itself dissolve them in the following wash.
3. Wet Hair
- Moisten the human hair of the wig or hairpiece by holding it under running, lukewarm water in the direction of fall – from the roots to the tips. Please do not place the model in a water bath.
4. Shampoo and Rinse
- Take a hazelnut-sized amount of Ellen Wille Human Hair Shampoo and gently rub it in from the roots to the tips. Please do not apply pressure when massaging in.
- Rinse Ellen Wille Human Hair Shampoo thoroughly under clear water until no shampoo residue is left.
5. Second Treatment
- Carry out a second treatment with Ellen Wille Human Hair Balm. Take up an amount of balm about the size of a hazelnut and gently stroke it again from the base towards the tips.
- Rinse the human hair thoroughly a second time under clear, flowing water. Carefully pat the hair dry with a towel. Please do not rub or wring the hair.
Note: A special wig stand or head is ideal for air drying the human hair model. You can then style the hairpiece or wig as you wish.