Care and cleaning for synthetic wigs
This page tells you how to safely wash your wig, and gives 6 important care tips.
Synthetic wig washing guide
If you wear your synthetic wig every day, wash it every 3 weeks.
- Before you wash, be sure to carefully detangle the hair using a wide tooth comb.
- Lightly brush through and gently remove any tangles using a wide tooth comb/brush. Do not pull or drag the fibre ….be gentle!
- Fill a bowl with COLD water (never hot, as heat damages fibres).
- Mix a capful of shampoo into the water.
- Immerse your wig and allow it to soak for few minutes.
- Immerse your wig in a fresh bowl of cold water to remove shampoo.
- Do NOT squeeze or wring your wig.
- Apply conditioner directly to your wig, stroking downwards from roots to ends.
- Leave in 4–5 minutes.
- Rinse by immersing wig once more in fresh cold water.
5. Towel dry
- Place the wig between a folded towel and pat dry.
- Never squeeze, rub or wring your wig while drying.
- Remove from towel.
6. Style and hair dry
- Gently shake the wig to regain its style. Alternatively, lightly style it with a wig comb or your fingers.
- Place wig on a folding wig stand or over the mouth of a large jar or vase to dry naturally. Never use a hair dryer, as heat damages synthetic fibres.