You may be experiencing thinning hair, or have lost a lot of your hair due to a condition such as alopecia or from the effects of chemotherapy. Whatever the reason, if you are a first time buyer you may be wondering what you require. Will a hair topper be the right choice, or a full wig? Before we provide a comparison, we’ll explain what both of these things are:
- A wig is a full head of hair
- Hair is attached to a cap, which can be made from a variety of materials
- Hair can be attached to the cap by hand or machine sewn on
- The cap is placed onto the head and will usually remain in place. For extra security, you may use wig clips or special wig tape (dependent on how much hair you have)
- There are different types of wig caps that have different features, e.g. lace front to allow for hair to be styled off of the forehead (natural looking hairline)
- Wigs can be made from human hair, synthetic hair or a blend of both
- A hair topper is a hair piece that clips to existing hair, to conceal hair loss or to add extra volume
- Hair toppers come with clips attached (usually 2 or 4). These are slid into existing hair and snapped into place
- A hair topper is usually in the same style and colour as existing hair (worn as an enhancement) and can be styled by a hairdresser once in place to help it blend well
- Hair toppers can also be called crown extensions
- Hair toppers can be made from human hair, synthetic hair or a blend of both
View our full range of hair pieces and toppers.
See below for a comparison of wigs vs. hair toppers to help you decide which is best for you.
Wigs vs. Toppers – Which is best for you?
To help you decide, the summary below lists the differences between wigs and hair toppers.
|Has full head coverage||✔||✖|
|Is worn with a wig cap underneath||✔||✖|
|Provides targeted/partial coverage||✖||✔|
|Is clipped onto existing hair||✖||✔|
|Available in human hair, synthetic hair or a blend||✔||✔|
|Available in different colours||✔||✔|
As you can see, there are benefits and limitations of both wigs and hair toppers. When choosing which to go for, you need to ask yourself the following questions:
What level of coverage do I desire? If you would like full coverage, or are completely bald, a wig would be the best choice. If you would like to enhance your existing hair then a topper may be appropriate.
How much am I willing to spend? A hair topper will usually cost less than a full wig due to less time and materials being required.
How much time do I want to spend styling my hair each day? With a wig, you can wash and style it at any stage then simply put it on when you want to wear it. A hair topper will require clipping in and styling each time you want to wear it.
How much breathability do I require? As wigs are full coverage, they have more of a ‘presence’ on your head and you may become hot whilst wearing one. This can be reduced depending on the cap type you choose. A hair topper is lighter and therefore doesn’t feel as heavy on the head and is more breathable.
If you would like more advice or help with choosing a wig or a hair topper, please feel free to contact us or visit one of our store locations throughout Australia. We are always happy to answer your queries.